The purpose of retainers is to straighten the teeth and hold them to a specific position after completing orthodontic work. Similarly, if someone avoids wearing retainers after the orthodontics, the teeth may revert to their original position over time. The dentist recommends wearing fixed and removable retainers right after the orthodontic work to maintain the teeth in better shape.
If you are among those who have no idea what removable orthodontic retainers are and their advantages and disadvantages. Then you are at the right place; keep reading this guide and learn about the pros and cons of removable retainers.
What are Removable Retainers?
There are two types of retainers: fixed and removable. The fixed retainers are permanent, while the removable retainers can be removed easily when needed. However, dentists recommend wearing removable retainers as much as possible and avoiding removing them frequently. Whereas some dentists suggest wearing at night only, the wearing time may rely on your dental condition. So, one should always check on his dentist and follow the recommended usage accordingly.
One must remove the retainers when eating, brushing, flossing and rinsing. The removable retainers are manufactured with transparent plastic sheets that ideally fit one’s teeth and align the teeth in the desired position. These removal retainers tightly hold the teeth and stop them from moving back to their original position.
It’s mandatory for people to initially wear the removable retainers all day and night for up to 3 months. Then, they only have to wear these at night for a lifetime. In addition, if one takes complete care of their teeth, they must wear these removal retainers for 10 years, at least after the treatment. People must compromise on their comfort for years to achieve the smile they always wanted.
Types of Removable Retainers
The removable retainers have two primary types that ideally promote tooth alignment and provide you with an attractive perfect smile. Here are the types of removable retainers; check out:
The most traditional retainers that first took place in 1919 are the Hawley retainers. The upper portion of Hawley retainers contains wires that hold the teeth, and then the wire is attached to a plastic or acrylic body. The Hawley retainers are explicitly designed in a position where it is moulded and fit easily on the roof of the mouth. These retainers can be used after the treatment with braces or clear aligners. Hence, Hawley retainers are effortless to use and are highly effective in providing the best results.
The clear retainers are formulated with high-quality transparent plastic; however, technical ones are created with polypropylene (PVC) material. These Removable Essix retainer or Vivera retainers consist of clear plastic and don’t have any metal wires. The function of clear retainers is exactly like Hawley retainers, but the only downside is they are comparatively nondurable.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Removable Retainers
- The removal retainers, especially clear retainers, are pretty effortless to wear.
- It is not mandatory to wear the removal retainers all day; one can wear them at night.
- Clear trays will most likely cover and hold the teeth ideally and firmly.
- These retainers are simple to remove.
- It’s pretty straightforward to clean the removable retainers and maintain them.
- Removable retainers are effortless to remove; these ensure good oral hygiene when one removes them while brushing or flossing teeth.
- People who receive dental restorations like fillings, crowns, and others find the removal retainers helpful as they perfectly protect the teeth.
- Some people find it difficult to play sports with removable retainers. That’s why it’s better to remove it during such activities.
- When eating food, one needs to take out the removal retainers.
- Over time, removal retainers can become loose and cause disturbance for the users.
The use of removable retainers after orthodontic treatment is increasing day by day. But the downside is these retainers are less durable than permanent or fixed retainers. However, the removable retainers are affordable and straightforward to clean and care for. So if you are also interested in wearing the removable retainers to align your teeth, plan your visit at My Family Dental, the best dentist hills at Charlesworth Edmonton, or call now at 𝟕𝟖𝟎-𝟗𝟑𝟕-𝟑𝟕𝟑𝟕 to book an appointment!