Eating and filling our bodies with nutrients is part of our daily routine. For that reason, we are at risk of having a toothache and tooth decay, mostly due to the kind of food we eat. We know that brushing alone won’t save our teeth; thus, healthy food intake is important to dental health.
At My Family Dental, we care about your overall health, starting with dental health. Our dentists in Edmonton will be very happy to help you achieve the healthiest and most beautiful smile. We’ve created a list of foods to help us achieve a bright and beautiful smile together.
What are the foods that will help you achieve a bright smile?
- Fluoride-contained foods – Fluoride is an important ingredient that keeps up tooth decay and makes teeth stronger and acid-resistant. Most people don’t know that fluoride is a naturally present mineral in many things, most importantly, in our foods. The following are the foods and drinks that naturally have fluoride with them:
- Black tea
- Light beer
- Fruit juice (grape)
- Cheese, milk, and other dairy products can help prevent tooth decay as they have proteins called “caseins” that help form a protective film that will surround the outermost layer of the teeth. Aside from dairy products’ useful proteins, milk also contains phosphorus and calcium, which are helpful to make the teeth enamel stronger. It is also beneficial in the production of saliva in the mouth.
- Sugarless chewing gum – Chewing sugarless gum will help increase salivary flow. Thus, useful in reducing plaque acid, sticky bacteria that form on teeth and can destroy the tooth enamel.
- Fiber-rich fruit and vegetables – According to the American Dental Association (ADA) report, fiber-rich foods play a huge role in keeping the teeth and saliva clean. They increase the production of saliva that can help neutralize the acids left behind the in mouth.
- Green and black teas – Teas have a lot of antioxidants that are beneficial in fighting bacteria that cause teeth cavities, and it helps to reduce gum inflammation. Aside from its countless benefits that help us, the only downside of black tea is it can stain the teeth in the long run.
Many people never think about the importance of good dental hygiene. Still, it can help us prevent tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath (halitosis) and other oral health diseases that can possibly affect our way of living. Learn how to value the importance of dental hygiene by brushing, flossing and most importantly, by healthy food intake that will help us achieve and maintain healthy well-being in physical and oral aspects.
Here at My Family Dental, we love to see our patients smile brightly and eat their favourite foods. We offer affordable dentists in Edmonton to help you achieve the best dental hygiene. Call our SW Edmonton Clinic at 780-937-3737 and book your appointment now.