Dental implant is recommended to those patients who have sufferred a tooth loss due an injury, accident or some kind of dental disease.
When a tooth is lost, it is important to fill up the vacant slot with an implanted tooth as the jaw bone holding the tooth weakens over time due to inactivity and can affect the adjacent teeth. A dental implant is an artificial root made of titanium metal. It is inserted into the jawbone to replace the root of the natural tooth. An artificial replacement tooth is attached to the implant. The implant acts as an anchor to hold the replacement tooth in place. Dental implants do not require support from adjacent teeth, and they keep the jawbone strong because it has a purpose – to support the tooth’s root.
Advantages of Implant include:
- Independent: The implant will not damage neighboring teeth by relying on them for support
- Aesthetic: The implant will look and feel like a natural tooth
- Improved speech and function: Sliding dentures make speech and chewing difficult. Dental implant function like your own teeth and makes functions easier.
- Durability: With proper oral hygiene, dental implants last most people for a lifetime
- Prevent Bone Loss: Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that also replaces that jaw bone stimulation, helping to prevent bone loss.