Steps to Dental Health:
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride in the toothpaste prevents tooth decay. It remineralizes the teeth. Fluoride gets absorbed by the enamel of the teeth and helps in replenishing the lost calcium and phosphorus from the teeth.
- Floss daily to remove plaque. If plaque is not removed then overtime it hardens into tartar. Flossing cannot remove tartar so a Dentist’s help should be sought for professional scraping of the tartar. A tartar should not be allowed to build up as it can lead to inflammation of the gums and cause gingivitis. Gingivitis if left untreated can develop into Periodontitis. While Gingivitis causes gums to bleed and can be treated Periodontitis destroys the structure i.e the bones and the tissues supporting the tooth and can lead to tooth loss.
- Avoid snacking between meals. Cut back on sugary and starchy food and avoid snacks between the meals. Bacteria residing in our mouth feed on the sugar and starch and convert it into acid which then attacks the enamel of the teeth.
- Visit your Dentist at least twice a year. At least 2 visits a year are important as they allow a dentist to notice early signs of a dental disease. Regular professional cleaning of the teeth prevents buildup of tartar and a full dental examination can prevent the onset of a dental disease when noticed in its initial stage.
- Replace your old tooth brush with a new one every 3-4 months. If the toothbrush bristles have frayed then the toothbrush is not doing its job of cleaning anymore and needs to be replaced sooner.
- Oral Health Education. It is important to educate patients on oral hygiene in order to have a favorable attitude towards dental health.