A smile is more than just a beautiful asset you have; it is a vital part of the body that helps you speak and eat. That is why it is essential to take good care of your smile. Dental professionals suggest that visiting a dentist at least twice a year plays a critical role in maintaining a healthier smile and reducing the risk of developing oral diseases. We are your trusted Edmonton Dentist offering oral health care so you can smile with confidence.
Several other factors also contribute to maintaining a healthier smile. Here are five tips for maintaining a healthier smile:
- Choose a toothbrush wisely – It may not seem like it, but choosing a toothbrush is an essential part of maintaining a healthy smile, as it helps to keep your mouth clean. Experts say that an electric toothbrush is more effective at getting into those smaller crevices than a manual toothbrush. It may cost more, but it can help keep your teeth strong.
- Improved diet – The type of foods you eat can contribute to maintaining good oral health. A shift into a healthy diet (i.e. fewer sugary foods and acidic drinks) could result in great dental health. Foods such as fruits and vegetables that require a lot of chewing are good for teeth as they promote more production of saliva and mouth is washed more often.
- Limit staining beverages – Many people drink coffee, tea, and wine – sometimes daily. However, drinking too much can wear out the enamel and stain your teeth. Why? These beverages contain something known as tannin, which can cause staining and discolouration on your natural teeth.
- Drink lots of water – There is a reason why water is called a ‘universal solvent,’ mainly because it dissolves substances and washes away the harmful bacterias in the mouth. Apart from washing away bad bacterias, water could also help people who are experiencing dry mouth. Water hydrates all parts of the body, especially the first receiver of water, the mouth.
- Avoid chewing hard items – One of the main contributors to weakening the enamel is chewing hard items such as hard candies and non food items like pen and finger nails. Avoid these as these can damage teeth.
What are the benefits of having healthy teeth?
Your teeth bring out the best in your smile. It is easy for anyone to care for their teeth by frequently brushing their teeth and flossing, but it takes commitment to maintain it by giving up vices and other habits that could ruin the teeth. Below are the benefits of having healthy teeth:
- Increases your confidence and keeps your smile bright
- Prevents tooth decay and gum disease
- Saves money by less oral care costs
- Prevents serious diseases
- Improves gum and teeth health
Maintaining a healthy smile is not always easy, but there’s no doubt that it provides several health benefits, not only orally but overall. From invasive dental treatments to costly implants, having healthier oral hygiene gives you the luxury of strong teeth to enjoy all types of food you like. Remember that a smile is contagious. Spread positivity by radiating the smile that you have!
If you are looking for a team of professionals who can help you maintain strong and healthy teeth and gums, visit My Family Dental, an Edmonton dentist dedicated to giving you the quality dental treatment you need. Give us a call today at 780 937 3737 to book an appointment!