A lifetime of dental care is required to achieve healthy teeth. Even if you consider that you have a sweet tooth, it’s critical to take the proper steps to care for them and avoid problems every day. Below are the ways how to take care of your teeth:
- Brush your teeth before sleeping or going to bed – An Edmonton dentist recommends at least brushing your teeth twice a day. Brushing before bed helps remove bacteria and plaque accumulated during the day.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly – Brush your teeth properly. It helps to eliminate plaque. Take your time and brush your teeth gently in circular motions.
- Don’t forget about your tongue – Plaque can also accumulate on your tongue. It may cause bad breath and other oral health issues. Make sure to brush your tongue gently after brushing your teeth.
- Flossing is just as crucial as brushing – Many people who brush regularly forget to floss. Flossing isn’t just for removing food particles or vegetables that have become trapped between your teeth.
- Make it a habit to floss your teeth – Flossing may be tough for some people, especially children and older adults. Rather than giving up using floss, seek out products that will assist you in flossing your teeth.
- Use mouthwash – Mouthwash decreases acid in the mouth, helps to clean hard-to-brush areas around the gums, and remineralizes teeth. Consult your Edmonton dentist for a piece of mouthwash advice. People with sensitive teeth should avoid certain brands, and a dentist’s advice is essential. Prescription mouthwash is also available.
- Increase water intake in your body – Water is the best drink for our overall health, including oral health. Water can help you wash away some of the unpleasant effects of sticky and acidic meals and beverages.
- Consume crisp fruits and vegetables – Ready-to-eat foods are convenient, but they might not be so good for your teeth. Fresh, crisp food is not only higher in healthful fibre, but it is also better for your teeth.
- Avoid sugary foods and acidic drinks – Sugar breaks down into acid inside the mouth, and these acids cause cavities. Teeth enamel can be eroded from acidic fruits, drinks, and coffee.
- Drink lots of water – It might sound cliché, but drinking lots of water also play an important role in maintaining your oral health. Drinking a glass of water every meal helps wash out food particles in your mouth and keep your mouth healthy at the same time.
- See your dentist at least twice a year – Your daily routine plays a significant role in your overall oral health. Cleanings and checkups with your dentist in Edmonton can not only remove calculus and check for cavities, but they can also detect possible dental problems.
At My Family Dental, we prioritize your dental health by giving the best dental advice, dental checkups and cleanings to give you a clearer and brighter smile. We are an affordable dentist in Edmonton that offers various dental services. Call us at (780) 937 3737 to book an appointment.